have you ever had a rough patch of life where when you finally surrender IT ALL to Christ EVERYTHING that you read in Scripture, watch on TV or youtube…everything you hear points you to the ANSWER that God has for you?!
that has been me this week. i hope this posts encourages you as it has me. This is what ABBA has show me this week: REMEMBER!
Jeremiah 29: 11 is ONE OF THE VERSES IN SCRIPTURE MOST OFTEN TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!! however, Jeremiah 29:1-14 is where we are starting today. (read through it and keep it open as i explain MY findings)
verse 1 tells us that Jeremiah 29 IS A LETTER to “the surviving elders among the exiles and to the priests, the prophets and all the other people Nebuchadnezzar had carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon.”
God is speaking through Jeremiah in writing to those ELDERS, priests, prophets, and people (v1) because GOD HAD SOME VERY IMPORTANT THINGS TO SAY TO THEM!
- (v4-7) Build houses, settle in, have families, grow food. SEEK PEACE and PRAY FOR YOUR ENVIRONMENT!.NKJV translates v 7 as: “seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away, and pray to the Lord for it; for in its peace you will have peace.”
- (v 8-9) DON’T LET PEOPLE DECEIVE YOU! notice the in v8 “who are in your midst…” The prophets in their company were prophesying falsely in God’s name. *He is warning them to LISTEN TO HIM ONLY.*
- (v 10) your captivity WILL NOT LAST FOREVER! you will go home in time (see this link for details) YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!
- (v 11) You are on MY MIND. “I know the thoughts that I think towards you…” PEACE not evil, FUTURE AND HOPE!
- (v12) THEN you (the exiled) will call on Me, pray to Me, and I will listen.
- (v13) When you (exiled ones) SEEK ME, you WILL FIND ME, when you SEARCH FOR ME WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART.
- (v14) “ I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
GOD SAW HIS PEOPLE!!
even when they were exiled after being captured by Nebuchadnezzar and led away to Babylon. He was reminding them WHO HE WAS and THAT HE WOULD RESCUE THEM!
So, while Jeremiah 29 was written to a specific group of people in a specifically HARD time, HE wants those same things for us. He asks us to:
- Pray for our environment
- Know HIS voice and listen to Him ONLY.
- KNOW that we are not forgotten.
- KNOW that He is mindful of us
- KNOW that He wants our best
- He wants us to talk to Him.
- He wants us to seek Him.
- He HAS RESCUED US!!
HE DOES THE EXACT SAME FOR US THAT HE DID FOR THOSE EXILES!
He asks us to seek Him in Matthew 7.
Matthew’s recording of the SERMON ON THE MOUNT is in Matthew 5-7.
Matthew 6:25-34 is one of my favorite passages of Scripture, because I NEED TO HEAR IT SO OFTEN! The gist is DO NOT WORRY, OR JUDGE, PRAY INSTEAD!
“seek first the Kingdom of God and HIS Righteousness and all these things, shall be added to you. Therefore, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW, FOR TOMORROW WILL WORRY ABOUT ITS OWN THINGS. Sufficient for the day is it’s own trouble.” We all need that reminder every so often.
Jesus goes on. In Matt 7:1-5 He talks about not Judging each other…“For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” OUCH!
Next He says this:
6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.”
that part always confused me. I think He is saying that we cannot force people to not judge us! We must do what He has asked of us, knowing that sometimes we will need to stop “throw”-ing the sacred and shiny to those who will not hear us. That’s encouraging sometimes too.
this last part ties to what God spoke through Jeremiah.
IT shows us THE CONSTANCY OF GOD!
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.“
according to a quick google search, and a little math, it was approximately 638 years from when Jeremiah lived to when Jesus gave this sermon! WOW!
ABBA CONTINUOUSLY REMINDS US WHO WE ARE, doesn’t He? When we forget, He shows us how to Remember!
So beloved, REMEMBER THIS WITH ME:
- REMEMBER that God sees you!
- REMEMBER that He has called you to a specific thing in a specific time.
- REMEMBER that He has given you specific GIFTINGS OF HIS SPIRIT. They are yours to use as THE HOLY SPIRIT directs.
- REMEMBER to Search HIM, especially when life happens and the enemy deceives you.
- REMEMBER that He promises that when you SEARCH HIM, YOU WILL FIND HIM!
- PRAY. PRAY. PRAY. AND PRAY SOME MORE.
- ALWAYS go back to HIS WORD!
- BE STRONG IN HIS JOY.
- SOW IN PEACE.
- REAP IN PEACE!
- Be Wise.
I leave you today with encouragement from James the brother of Jesus.
“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truthSuch “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.“ James 3:13-17